Sunday, February 16, 2014

Ellen Page

This past Valentine's Day, Ellen Page, who is my celebrity valentine (blush), came out as being a lesbian during the Human Rights Campaign. She backed this statement up with mentioning how she was tired of hiding her honest feelings and felt that she had the right to live life as she pleases. Coincidentally enough, this is her human right. We were previously aware of the fact that she was in a few relationships, dated a few men, and is a pro-choice feminist. While some speculation could be made, there was not entirely enough to confirm. This announcement has become confirmation. Regardless, my stance on this has not changed in the very least.

For those who are not familiar with Ellen Page, she is a Canadian actress who has made her way into the hearts of plenty of moviegoers from across the globe, but especially in Canada and the United States.While her first televised role was in Pit Pony in 1997 and her first full-length film was Marion Bridge from 2002, it was Hard Candy, a 2005 film about a teenage girl (played by Page) garnering the attention of a rapist. This began the trend of Page playing characters much younger than her actual age, for she looked the part (she'll be 27 at the end of the week, yet she still looks 18). This trend continued with perhaps her biggest role of playing Juno MacGuff in the 2007 film, Juno. Here, the title character faces the challenge of teenage pregnancy using humor and excellent planning, while battling the struggles someone in her predicament would face. From there, she had roles in the roller derby film Whip It and the Leonardo DiCaprio mind-boggling thriller Inception (which, by the way, was a brilliant film that continues to keep me thinking). While Page is not necessarily in the spotlight as often at this point in time, she remains active in roles that include a video game voiceover in Beyond: Two Souls and she will have a role in the upcoming X-Men film.

As you may notice throughout my blogging trends, I am not one to respond to the coming out of celebrities. The one thing that is making "coming out" news is that it has been immensely unfamiliar before this new era. Even in the 1990s, opening up was quite vague. We are now about ready to see an era in which the first openly gay football player, Michael Sam, will enter the NFL Draft. At this moment, we are seeing a breaking of barriers. Ten years from now, I hold high hope that those who are part of the LGBT community will not have to make noise and feel as if they are figuratively bungee jumping out of a plane fifty thousand feet into the air in order to create acceptance among their fellow citizens. Hopefully, at this point in time, someone could live their lives as being gay, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, or in any other fashion and be seen just as everybody else is and be treated with true equality. They don't necessarily need to have a news article printed out about their decision to live life the way they please. It's respect that the LGBT community, like everybody else in society, deserves.

At the beginning of my post, I mentioned that Ellen Page "is my celebrity valentine." That's not a typo. I believe that I do not have to change the way I look at people just because they have an attraction to the opposite gender or are "not my type." She is a phenomenal actress with a charm and great sense of humor. I don't know her (and will probably never know her) personally, but I can only imagine she's a nice person. Usually, if I don't see people on Entertainment Tonight or on the cover of tabloid magazines, I usually see that as being the first good sign. 

For now, I hope that some time in the near future, Page will return to film in some capacity. Perhaps a nice drama or even a film with a protagonist that has to tackle the issue of sexual orientation. I'm almost positive that it would send plenty of people to the theaters (and I would be one of them). I'll be sure to keep an eye out. Her talent as an actress, my friends, is what I see as Ellen Page's best strength. Like Page, everybody, regardless of orientation, race, color, religion, or condition (physical or psychological), should be viewed by their actions and their hearts; and not be afraid to be who they are and just live their lives to the fullest.

1 comment: