Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Big Cheese: Chevre & Other High End Goat Cheese

It's been awhile since I explored the world of cheese through the outlet of Caponomics, but I have done my best to keep up and active with cheese as much as I possibly could. I finally got to visit Murray's (even if it was the one at Grand Central Terminal) and had such an excellent experience that I had to give them my business at buy at least a quarter of a pound. Next time, whether I visit the one in Grand Central Terminal or on Bleaker Street, I'm going to engage in some more tasting and I'm going to buy more. Before I talk about the cheese I got to taste, I shall shift the topic of discussion and talk about goat cheese. If it's the proper kind of goat cheese, it can be an absolute treat and play an excellent partner to plenty of simple snacks. On many of occasions, however, it falls slightly short since it's not the right make. That's where things will get exciting when it comes to pointing out what you should and should not get.

I'm almost positive that with every notion I made about cheese, simple terms are worse. For instance, "Swiss" cheese is the least Swiss of Swiss cheeses and that Emmentaler is "the original Swiss." Then you have American cheese that is processed, thus does not qualify. Goat cheese follows the same notion as Swiss cheese. When you buy goat cheese as GOAT CHEESE, it's in a longer package and cheaper than a smaller package that goes under a different name, such as Chevre. The goat cheese labeled as "goat cheese," however, is not as delicious. It's much pastier and flavorless as something in the class of a Chevre. Just as plenty of aspects in life, bigger is not better and that great things do come in small packages.

As for Chevre, while you're spending more money and getting less to the package, it's delicious. The best possible pairing (in my mind) is with a slice of bread, preferably Italian. It plays an excellent fill-in to butter or cream cheese, depending on what role you want it to. Again, we as a society have defined cream cheese as the CREAM CHEESE. Chevre is a soft, creamy cheese as well and the goat milk base allows it to stand out so that the flavor is subtle, but this allows it to rightfully serve its purpose. Honey is often used as a partner to Chevre, but someone who enters cheese tasting with a very simple mind like myself can go either way. Chevre stands just fine on its own.

Chevre is not the consistent cheese for somebody who has a low budget, but it's a cheese that should be looked upon every so often in order to provide a reasonable treat for the household of one or more. As butter and cream cheese have become preserved to great extents due to massive sales, Chevre wouldn't be a bad alternate on occasion due to what probably features a more natural base, as you would find it in the section of imported cheeses by the Delicatessen as oppose to the dairy section next to several of the prepacked one. Its smooth, creamy pairing should provide you with such a delightful side at any time of the day and I'm sure it'll be satisfactory.

Every two months or so, I encourage you to change things up and lean your attention away from bread and butter or a bagel and cream cheese and look at small slices of Italian bread and Chevre for a delicious consumption. In France, goat cheese is quite a staple, and Chevre, a major goat cheese for them, is bound to be taken seriously. It should see the same kind of notion in America and across the globe as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment